Some of the points covered in his talk, and the resulting discussions, were;
- Depression can be considered as a loss of enjoyment of life, particularly when you no longer enjoy the things that would normally give you pleasure.
- Although stress is a key contributor to depression you need a little stress to motivate you to get on with things.
- Some of the techniques of alleviating depression are; Building relationships with other people, Looking after your health, Finding a purpose.
- Being involved in activities such as a Mens Shed used many of these techniques and could reduce the risk of developing depression by 50%.
- As well as exercise looking after your health included, Healthy Eating and relaxation such as listening to music.
If you, or someone you know, are a concern two of the questions to ask are;
- Are you feeling down. (YES is a concern particularly if the answer incluses something like 'hopeless' or 'its just ongoing')
- Have you been doing anything you enjoy recently. (NO is a further concern)